- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 3 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Toasted Breadcrumbs, (see Note)
- Place 1/4 cup beans in a small bowl and mash roughly with the back of a fork or a potato masher. Add the remaining beans to the bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and browned, about 4 minutes. Add rosemary, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits, until the wine has reduced by about half, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add broth, the remaining 1/4 cup water, kielbasa, the beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve topped with Toasted Breadcrumbs.
Note: To make toasted breadcrumbs, toss 1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil. Toast the breadcrumbs in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until they are golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
When using a whole package of chicken and 12oz sausage, double the beans too!